At ETS we believe that the cost of taking a GRE® test should not be a barrier to graduate study. ETS provides the GRE® Fee Reduction Program for individuals who can demonstrate financial need, for those who are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation, and for national programs that work with underrepresented groups. A GRE Fee Reduction Voucher may be used for one GRE® General Test and/or one GRE® Subject Test. Voucher users pay 50 percent of the regular test fee. Fee Reduction Vouchers cannot be combined with other offers.
New in 2019–20: Beginning in July 2019, all test takers who receive a GRE General Test Fee Reduction voucher will also receive FREE access to the following GRE test preparation materials, a $100 value:
- POWERPREP PLUS® Online Practice Test 1 ($40 value)
- POWERPREP PLUS® Online Practice Test 2 ($40 value)
- ScoreItNow!™ Online Writing Practice ($20 value)
For Those With Financial Need
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers on a first-come, first-served basis to U.S. citizens or resident aliens who are college seniors or unenrolled college graduates who meet eligibility requirements and are planning to take a GRE test in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands.
College seniors must be:
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has a FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have a SAR that shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates must:
- have applied for financial aid, and
- have a SAR that shows a self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher, complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request form and follow the instructions on the form regarding the submission of materials to ETS. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.
If You Tested With a Need-based GRE Fee Reduction Voucher Within the Last Calendar Year and You Would Like to Retest
Test takers approved for a need-based GRE Fee Reduction Voucher within the last calendar year who would like to retest can request an additional GRE Fee Reduction Voucher by completing and submitting the GRE® Fee Reduction Request Form to ETS. Note: The current date must be within one calendar year of ETS receipt of your original Fee Reduction Voucher and Student Aid Report materials. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.
For Those Who Are Unemployed
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers to individuals who can confirm that they are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation and are planning to take a GRE test in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands.
- a United States citizen or resident alien and 18 years or age or older
- currently unemployed and have become unemployed within the past six months
- able to submit a copy of an Unemployment Benefits Statement from the past 90 days as proof of unemployment
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher for the unemployed, complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request form and follow the instructions on the form regarding the submission of materials to ETS. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.
For National Programs in the United States
GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers are also made available to the following programs:
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program (GEM)
- NSF Lewis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) Program
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- TRIO Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Program
For Other Programs
GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers are also made available to the following program:
- EducationUSA Opportunity Fund Program
Register for the GRE General Test
The official practice tests from the maker of the test gives you the experience of taking the real, computer-delivered GRE General Test and more!
Approach test day with more confidence, knowing you can send the scores that show your personal best — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.